By : wadeindia | 25 Mar 2017 | Recent projects 0 0
A spacious 4 bedroom unit with a home-theatre and enough green around the house. A play in design with an interactive layout and large connecting balconies breathes life into the layout and makes it vibrant. The exteriors compliment the interiors by controlling the flow of light and ventilation into the living areas. Landscape areas are ear-marked as Kitchen garden, partying area, relaxing and spill over spaces. The water body further brings about tranquility and compliments the concept of a semi-urban farm house (Villa) in the overall design. The angular concrete wall with straight columns and the roof forms with huge cantilevers was a need based design to enhance quality in terms of tapping natural sources of energy to the maximum.
Site area – 8100 sq. ft Built area – 3752 sq. ft
This particular site enjoys a semi-urban locale even though it is situated at Whitefield area on the outskirts of Bangalore. It is a part of a bigger farm land and the area we were assigned to work on was close to quarter an acre. Huge coconut trees around the area and other farm lands form a naturally vibrant and green landscape around the site.
First of its kind in our office, this house, The Flying Eagle had a clear and distinct concept envisioned.
A well informed client with an eye for good designs, the house had to have a sense of uniqueness in the overall design concept, to maintain (aaya) plinth coverage area of 39’-0”x41’-0”strictly, it’s not to be too big nor too small, easy to maintain, to be a spacious four bedroom unit with a Home theatre, large living/dining to take gatherings, big kitchen area and enough green around the house. As otherwise, a complete free-hand was given to us while designing to explore right creative possibilities.
Our Focus and Design Concept –The Flying Eagle
- It had to be contextually relevant in terms of its location, surrounding environ, client’s needs, environment( eco- friendly) and finally a befitting design solution as an end result showcasing Architect’s aspirations having been given a free hand by the client.
- Pleasant insides created by design details with cooler outsides suitable to all four seasons of the year with less impact on energy consumption levels.
- Design details with challenging wall and roof forms with an overall impact on the air circulation inside the building. These forms resemble a flying Eagle with two wings where one roof with skylight covers the stairway and the other over the bed room .The beak covers the balcony.
- To contain some part of the house over water to enhance the quality of design functionally, aesthetically (positive ambience), controlling also the quality of air insides.
- Large covered balconies attached to bedrooms with well thought out roof forms to allow natural cool breeze in the inside. This intelligently designed roof form creates a chute like effect where the natural air pressure blowing inside increases and converts itself into a gentle breeze. These openings in this side of the wall having complimenting windows on the opposite wall allows a great passage of air circulation within the living areas and thus balancing the air circulation in the whole room and maintaining temperature cool and pleasant in all seasons with no requirement for AC and fans.
- A 15 degree angular wall holds the roof form of wings intact with large cantilevers. The curtain wall around the water body has been provided to bring in the sense of encompassing the whole house into one unit. The water body in the North-East corner which re-circulates water, is an essence of interesting design and maintains cool environs with cool breeze across the water body entering the living/dining and kitchen areas. The entrance verandah and the balcony of the home theatre cantilevers onto the water body.
- Every inch space in the insides has an utility aspect attached to it. Double heights have allowed us to design brightly lit mezzanine floor study and storage areas.
- A semi-covered car porch for two cars have been provided on the western side allowing a pedestrian walk to the entrance.
- Most of the trees within the site have been retained adding onto better air circulation.
- THE FLOOR PLANS:A basic grid of 7’-0” and its multiples is the module for plan easing out all our space requirements and Structural detailing. A play in design with all living spaces moving back and forth with large connecting balconies breaths life into the layout and makes it vibrant. The house layout design is very interactive, Exteriors complimenting the Interiors literally controlling the flow of light and ventilation into the living areas. Landscape areas are ear-marked as Kitchen garden, partying area, relaxing and spill over spaces and the spaces visible from the balconies. The water body further brings about tranquility and compliments the concept of a semi-urban and a partially a farm house (Villa)theme in the overall design of the house
THE ELEVATIONS AND SECTIONS:
- Well thought out 2D planning while designing with 3D thinking on building form to achieve maximum efficiency in tapping natural light and ventilation.
- The design drawings showing the roof forms, angular walls and the heights in accuracy to accommodate easy understanding by the contractor to achieve maximum precision at site.
- It was a challenge to Architect’s office in terms of providing the design drawing details for the varied roof ,wall ,window forms and a greater challenge to the structural engineer to provide strul. details and the contractor to execute the same at site. A solid team work was established between the Principal architect and the Contractor and the same was achieved with hardly any change from the original concept to executed at site. The Angular Concrete wall with columns straight and the roof forms with huge cantilevers was a need based design to enhance quality of designing in terms of tapping of Natural sources of Energy to the maximum- Air and Light.
- KITCHEN AND DINING AREA
- The customized Kitchen with a modular open kitchen design concept is spaciously designed with a lot of need based storage spaces, a refrigerator space. A dinette/cutting platform with storage space below.
- A crockery unit bifurcates the kitchen with the dining areas. it is brightly lit and well ventilated with an access to the utility/kitchen area on the rear and a door in front leading to an outdoor tea area over the water-body. THE KITCHEN WORK TRIANGLE HAS BEEN WELL ESTABLISHED IN OUR DESIGN.
- The Master Bedroom in the first floor
- More so designed as a master suite has a Walk-in wardrobe space, T.V.lounge, A huge Balcony overlooking the Landscape below and a master bath. Subtle colours with concept paints, cove lighting in the false ceiling adds onto a cozy and bright and completely satisfying ambience in the master bedroom.
- Daughter’s bedroom in first floor
- This room with 15 degree angular wall and huge roof height has been effectively used by creating a mid level study and library and storage areas. This whole room is cooler and brighter and more so in the mid level areas.
- FALSE CEILING DETAILS: Cove lighting where LED rope lights have been used to dissipate diffused light and accentuate the ambience of the interiors. We have also achieved greater energy efficiency levels by these LED fixtures and less maintenance cost
- The Home theatre: An acoustically treated and probably the only area to have an AC unit14’-0”x17’-0” area in the first floor with cove lighting and customized furniture, make-shift bar counter and T.V. unit just made suitable for this client. The home theatre along with an outdoor balcony jets out over the water body functions as additional relaxing corner accentuating the concept of leisure and family entertainment
43,858 total views, 4 views today