By : wadeindia | 10 Aug 2018 | TRENDING WADe TOPICS
IIA Women & Architecture Committee Competition for WADe Asia New Delhi, 31 Aug-1 Sep 2018
Topic:- Workshop for Designing a Safe and Inclusive Public Place
A “good” public space is that which is safe, inclusive and accessible for any gender, age or physical abilities. Such spaces reduce crime and boost our sense of community. Through this workshop, we aim to understand how design interventions can induce these aspects in order to create a successful public space.
(B) The Brief
A skywalk, built for a specific purpose is meant to be accessible to all members of the public, regardless of age, gender and physical abilities, but ironically enough, one can question whether it is truly designed for all its users.
This workshop aims at suggesting design interventions to a space as public as a skywalk, so that it is perceived as “usable and safe” for all.
At the workshop, the participants are to offer solutions for design enhancement of the above mentioned theme “A Skywalk”. The design solutions need to address the basic needs of a skywalk as:
• Ensuring safety and security at different times of day and during different seasons, even with low traffic
• Physically challenged
• Varied literacy levels
• Convenience of public amenities
• Crowd management
• Ideas to make the walk more pleasurable
• Could any activities- cultural or otherwise- at nodes or access, exit points bring about a sense of ownership
• Any other issues
• We are looking at design interventions at skywalks that make the experience for the general public/ user, better.
• You may propose one or more design interventions for the skywalk within the allowed maximum number of sheets.
• Site: You can look at a typical skywalk scenario for site to propose your intervention. You may also propose solutions for any particular skywalk that you may know of.
•Also it is often seen that most of these skywalks are abandoned and become just features. An understanding of why that’s happening and how the use could be encouraged and addressed in your design
• You may look at design interventions for any space at macro and/or micro levels within the skywalk. It may be solutions related to the, access points, corridor of passage, all vertical and horizontal surfaces, lighting, dustbins, kiosks, signage, places of connection, etc.
(E) Submission Format
• Sheet size – A3
• Maximum number of sheets – 5 sheets
• Advisable maximum number of words on each sheet – not more than 250
• Can be soft copy submission. In this case, each individual is to carry their own laptops.
• Soft copy submissions can only be in PDF/PPT format
• Please DO NOT mention any details such as name on your sheets. While collecting your sheets, codes will be assigned to your entries, to maintain anonymity.
• In case of hard copies, you may choose any medium to work with. A3 blank sheets (5 per participant) will be provided if needed.
• Participation will be in a group with maximum three members. (Individual participation also allowed)
• Duration: 2 hours.
1. While filling the form, in TYPE, select ‘ STUDENT (IIA WORKSHOP).
2. Students who have already registered for WADe Asia and are interested in this workshop please send us your confirmation ticket number ( e.g. IIA WAC WORKSHOP <Your Registration ID>) at firstname.lastname@example.org or +91-9650149801. You will be added to the workshop attendees list.
3. Winning entries will be recognized by IIA and the entry will be displayed at the Prestigious WADe Asia Event.
4. At the same time, Students Registration also allows one to attend Two days of WADe Asia Conference on the 31st Aug & 1st Sept 2018.
About WADE Asia Conference & Awards
WADE ASIA is one of the most prestigious national conferences on Architecture, Design, Art and Engineering and the largest platform for women in design in Asia.
The 5th celebration of WADE ASIA's annual event will take place on the 09-10-11/ October/ 2020 at the NSIC Grounds, New Delhi with participation from INDIA and SOUTH EAST ASIA.
It happens concurrently with MATECIA Building Material Exhibition and IIR Conference & Awards. If you are working for the built environment or building material industry, you should NOT MISS attending WADE ASIA.
WADE has created a World Record in 2018 for the Largest W shape created on ground by all women, awarded by ASIA BOOK OF RECORDS.