By : Aarushi Bafna | 23 Aug 2017 | WADe Projects 2
The process involved testing different wires available in the market ranging from stainless steel, mild steel to copper wire. Unexpectedly, finding a wire that was strong enough to take the weight but not too sturdy that it could not be bent was a rigorous process. Also the maximum length of the pipe or rod available in the market was 10ft due to which we had to strategically introduced points of joints. Trying sample pieces with mild steel and stainless steel rods and pipes gave an insight about the limitations of the material and the joinery details and finishes.
The first piece made with 6mm ss rod behaved like a spring making it highly unstable and vibrating. To work through these limitations we modified the design a couple of times trying to bend in all three axis. The first piece had four legs and dense top. Further developing it, we reached a stage where all the wires from the top were brought down to form a kind of parallel leg system which did make it stable to stand but on the other hand added an additional vibration at the crux. We also tried to introduce a few pull downs creating pockets for keeping items like books, cups etc.
Making five-six iterations, out of which a few worked and a few didn’t, we figured the limitations and how to enhance the initial idea. Also it became really difficult to get a finished product in SS because it wasn’t possible to clean the minute joinery details without a powder finish. Mild steel wire on the other hand turned out to be more difficult to bend but gave a much better finish. After multiple trials and tests, we froze on bending MS Wire in multiple directions and looping to get a single piece of furniture. In all the whole process of experimentation was a great learning process.
3,679 total views, 4 views today