By : wadeindia | 06 Apr 2017 | Recent projects
Client’s Brief –
- Located at Entrance of Mango Orchard being developed for second homes
- The project should be supported in branding and services from this restaurant as it’s the first interface between potential buyers and project
- Functional and easy to maintain considering highway location away from urban areas
- Should allow a pleasurable ambiance where guests can relax in all seasons
Design Approach –
- Open planning allows guest to be part of the natural surroundings and connect with the greenery and natural landscapes
- Allows views of vistas from virtually all locations
- Maximizing natural lighting and ventilation
- Create the relaxed effect of a resort to allow respite to traveller
- Use concepts like formal restaurants to create a dramatic effect vis-a-vis the other highway restaurants.
- Open courtyard accessed from entrance Gazebo allows access to both wings of restaurant.
- Three separate sections can be utilized on basis of crowd movement as groups or individual guests.
- Modular planning considering sizes of all materials used. Eg. Roof sections and spaces allow use of entire length of MS section and under-deck e-boards
Form Follows function –
- Kitchen is placed centrally to allow easy service
- Toilet block accessible directly from parking area
- Multiple entrances planned to access restaurant from show entrance and also from guest utility area
- Both entrances allow the visitor to enjoy the structure and the open freshness of the courtyard and internal landscape
- Groups can be catered to by allocating either a section on the ground level or on first level.
- Large overhangs of Mangalore tiled roof to handle the large variations due to high summer temperatures and heavy monsoons
- Open windowless planning allows the space to be fresh and odor free always.
Site Relevance –
- Located in a rural area therefore planned to match local building styles
- Form and layout suited to local climate and seasons with connection to orchard.
- Free flowing wind and relevant locations for services reduce need of forced ventilation
- Courtyard landscape designed to collect roof run off water via channels in flooring towards central water court and from there further to ground water recharge
- All effluents treated in a plant based sewage treatment tank using indigenous plant species and outflow used for orchard irrigation
- Mangalore tiles are reused from old houses with Eboard and glass wool under-deck insulation.
- Skylight function as ventilators to aid exhaust of hot air.
- Specifically used earthy materials like Mangalore Tiles, Shahabad stone, Kota, Cuddapah, Jaisalmer stone and Grit to create seamless interplay of spaces. Exposed bricks, and metal frame structure.
69,001 total views, 16 views today
About WADE Asia Conference & Awards
WADe ASIA, the prestigious national conference on Architecture, Interior Design, Art and Engineering, is open to all facets of topics & discussions on design. Deliberately, the WADe AWARDS are restricted to be applied only by women of the fraternity. It is WADe ASIA's mission to bring the entire community together to celebrate the Women-led Design, Architecture, Construction& Development.
Here is a video that talks about the purpose of WADe ASIA.
In its 4th edition, WADe ASIA will be held at the NSIC Grounds, Okhla, New Delhi, from 11-12 October 2019. The event is expected to be the networking ground for 1500+ architects, designers, artists and civil engineers from all over India and important guests from Dubai, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Bhutan, Nepal and Bangladesh. Irrespective of any gender, WADe conference is open to all in the design fraternity. Free Registrations for a limited time. Register Now